Wednesday, 15 September 2010

day 16: a song that makes me cry

I have three songs that make me cry. They are all associated with different times or events, and I couldn't decide on one in particular. So here they all are:

"She G0es On" by Cr0wded H0use.
This belongs to my BFF Kay. She was in her final illness and her husband (Marathon Man) and I were at her bedside. Kay suddenly asked Marathon Man to sing this song to her, which he did. She said that it would always remind her of an afternoon only a couple of months previously when the three of us were sunning ourselves in their back garden, Marathon Man absorbed in the sports section of the Saturday Gu@rdian while Kay and I were working on the short story we were writing together. When Kay died, this song was the one Marathon Man chose to play at the start of her funeral. It was years before I could listen to it again.

"Lean 0n Me" by Beth Ort0n.
After Kay died Marathon Man and I became very close friends. We would talk to or email each other every couple of days and would spend weekends together several times a year. The weekends were invariably fuelled by wine and music and each night lasted into the small hours of the following morning. One of those Saturday-night-Sunday-mornings was played to a close by Marathon Man picking "Lean on Me". As he lined up the track he said that the song always brought me to his mind because he had leant on me since Kay died, and that he "genuinely believed" that I saved his life in those early dark and despairing months.

"Fix Y0u" by C0ldplay.
I played this over and over and over again in the days after losing Starchild, just for the lines "and the tears come streaming down your face, when you lose something you can't replace".
It is made worse because I can't stand this band or the constipated-piglet vocal stylings of the lead singer and I hate that they are the ones responsible for this song!

4 comments:

  1. This is amazing. You have been through so very much. I have these songs running through my head right now, I can only imagine how emotional this all was for you. I am espeically struck by the image of your best friend's last day and asking to be sang to. what an amazing mememory, although so bitter sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You and your Bestie sound like you had such a great relationship - and with her husband too. You are good friend, Illanare!
    I am such a philistine - I have heard of all those bands but I don't know those songs. I need to u tube them now. ((HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love Fix You, and I hate c0ldpl@y too :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I adore Fix You. I didn't realize that those were the lyrics. I loved reading this post. You have such a way with writing, abs when I read your posts I always get a very clear picture in my head.

    ReplyDelete