My darling little cat has been pretty sick recently. I mentioned in a previous post that she had been diagnosed with hyperthyroidism last month and was put on tablets twice a day. Well, just over a week into that regimen, she started to have fits. Mild fits (apparently) but they freaked me the hell out anyway. A blood test showed that her thyroid meds had worked rather too well and she now had hypothyroidism (the lower limit of a normal thyroid level is 19, hers was 11).
So, thyroid meds were stopped and instead I had to watch her pretty much 24 hours a day for about a week, giving her diazapam (rectally, lovely) every time she had a fit and also twice daily doses of phenobarbital. The pheno stopped the fits after 5 traumatic days and now she is almost back to normal. The vet and I still have to discuss how (if at all) to manage her thyroid condition but that is something to be dealt with at the end of this week.
My poor darling little cat!


Oh poor puddy tat! Its horrible when they aren't well.
ReplyDeleteOne of ours was on thyroid medication for about two years. I became an expert at giving him pills - though thankfully, the only ones I ever had to do were taken orally. (Phew!)
Poor little cat! Poor cat's poor human - how scary for you. Wishing the little darling well and happy so very much.
ReplyDeleteHard to watch our lovies go through health problems. Hope she's on the road to recovery.
ReplyDeleteIt's so heart breaking to watch our pets go through health issues. I'm so glad you are getting your kitty help.
ReplyDeleteIt is so heartbreaking to care for a sick sweet kitty companion. I hope that she and you are feeling more like yourself soon!
ReplyDeleteAwww, poor kitty! :( I hope she is feeling better soon!
ReplyDeleteYour poor sweet kitty! I'm sorry that you are both going through this. I hope you can find a regimen that works for her. I hope you have lots of snuggles together:)
ReplyDeleteSORRY to hear about your kitty. :-( Hope she gets better soon...
ReplyDeleteawww, hugs to the poor sweetheart cat!! She's looks adorable. I hope she's feeling better and that you can find a stable treatment plan.
ReplyDelete