Thursday, 25 October 2012

trick or treat

Tonight, in a fancy restaurant deep in the heart of London's Soho, my friends and I saw something that shocked us. Four young children, the oldest not more than eight or nine, came in trick-or-treating. They were on their own and it was obvious that there wasn't an adult outside waiting for them. The staff were in a dilemma, clearly they didn't want to send the kids back out onto the street but they also couldn't have them trick-or-treating the customers. In the end someone whom we presumed was the manager took the kids to the back and I guess she must have tried to find out how to contact the parents. My friends and I left pretty soon afterwards so I don't know what happened in the end.
I honestly do try not to judge others, but I couldn't help it this evening. Why would you think that it was a good or safe idea to let a kid do that?
Even now I still can't stop myself from thinking that sometimes the wrong people get to be parents.

5 comments:

  1. They have Halloween much earlier in the UK?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, it is so hard to believe that God would bless kids to parents that have no common sense. I hate to admit it but I have seen my share as well and I just shake my head in disbelief. It preys on my mind for hours afterwards. I just hope and pray that those kids are kept safe by some miracle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those poor kids. Wrong night and you don't trick-or-treat at restaurants... where on earth were their parents? Obviously they don't give a crap about their kids if they weren't around and didn't even bother to explain Halloween to them either. :(

    I know Halloween isn't as popular over in the UK as the US, but darn, that's just crummy parenting all over the place.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my... that is awkward. I don't know why parents would allow their kids to do that. Very odd and I can only imagine how uncomfortable the restaurant workers were. Yikes. There is lots of poor parenting going on out there, which always irritates me because I think of all the people who want kids and can't have them... but that's another rant.

    ReplyDelete