Saturday, 2 April 2011

motherhood

Tomorrow is Mothering Sunday in the UK, or as it is now more commonly called, Mother's Day.

It is not an easy day for most of us here, is it?  We don't get cards or flowers or chocolates and we don't get to paste endless In Yer Faceb00k re-posts about how special we are.

The Oxford English Dictionary defines "mother" as "a woman in relation to a child or children to whom she has given birth".  I guess that doesn't make me a mother...   

Wikipedia has a broader definition: "a woman who has conceived, given birth to, or raised a child in the role of a parent".  I like this one better.

But I like the inscription on the Monumento a la Madre in Mexico best of all: "to her who loves us before she meets us".

Thinking of all of us who love, but never got to meet, our children.

9 comments:

  1. this is beautiful. Thinking of you.
    love, inB

    ReplyDelete
  2. thinking of you my sweet friend....

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are a mom. Completely,
    Hugs...

    ReplyDelete
  4. This made me tear up. The US Mothers Day is fast approaching, and I think I dread it more than ever this year. Thinking of you and your children today.

    Love,
    Jo

    ReplyDelete
  5. This holiday is so incredibly difficult and I'm dreading ours here in the U.S. and it's a month away.

    Thinking of you. You may not have a baby in your arms, but you are still very much a mother.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i don't like the oxford definition because it also discounts adoptive and foster parents from being mothers too...

    sending you big squishy hugs from afar!!

    ~x~

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wishing you a lovely Mothers Day. These days are hard...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like the wiki definition of a mother, as it includes me! Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thinking of you ... and of all of us who have loved a child before even meeting them.

    (((HUGS)))

    ReplyDelete