Saturday, 19 March 2011

tales from a London bus

My journey to work yesterday morning was enlivened by two young (I'm guessing mid 20s) men, all suited and booted, heading for the city.  I was sitting behind them as they had a loud and bragging conversation:

Whippersnapper 1:  She's gorgeous, my girl.  You've never seen anyone so beautiful
Whippersnapper 2:  I've met her, mate.  She may be pretty but the lights aren't all on, are they?  Grant you my Milly isn't that much of a looker but she's as smart as they come.
Whippersnapper 1:  Bullsh1t! Kit is just as smart as Milly.
Whippersnapper 2:  Yeah?  If Kit's so smart, how come you were telling me she fell of the bed the other night?
Whippersnapper 1: (deep indulgence in his voice) that wasn't her fault, she'd been chasing her tail and got dizzy.

The memory of that exchange kept me entertained all day.

My journey home wasn't as fun.  The little boy sitting behind me thought that it would be the height of entertainment to grab a fistful of my hair and give it a suprisingly strong and vicious tug.  His mother chided him: "You mustn't touch other people's hair, darling.  It could be all dirty".

?!?!??!??!

10 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness! Those snippets are precious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The conversation was funny but that mother!!! I think I might have had to turn around and make a nasty comment!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow- that conversation was so funny!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. seriously???? you have got to be kidding me on the hair pulling!!!! what???
    How you holding up solo?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would have been tempted to pull the mother's hair while saying: "Yours, in contrast, seems quite clean, so allow me to pull it to my hearts content".

    ReplyDelete
  6. honestly, both are hilarious... maybe I should move to London. Most of the overheard conversations in my neck of the woods are self-righteous veganism.

    ReplyDelete
  7. those are great stories!!! i will have to share the one of the cat, too funny!! and the woman with the son, people don't think before they talk. i hope you have an interesting commute to work tomorrow, without hair pulling that is :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have found myself on the tube whipping out a note book and scribbling down conversations verbatim. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. lmao at the first exchange, that would have made me laugh out loud there and then!!

    as for the last one hmmmm i presume you didn't turn around and offer a wise arse comment back to the mother? if not, i'm very proud of you - you wouldn't have been proud of me in the same situation!! LoL

    ~x~

    ReplyDelete