Saturday, 3 April 2010

ah the romance

On Thursday morning Significant Other suggested that he meet me after work that evening and we would have "date night" - nice dinner at a romantic restaurant with candles and wine and then splurge on a taxi home. I thought it was a lovely idea and wore a nice outfit to work and even - and this shows you how excited I was - found my make-up! I kid you not; lipstick, mascara, eyeshadow - the whole works.

At 5.00 I got a text to say that he didn't fancy coming all the way into town and could we meet somewhere close to home instead. Fair enough, it was pouring down rain and I understood not wanting to make the journey, so I was a bit disappointed but fine with exchanging the romantic meal for pub grub. And I was fine when he arrived at our local wearing a t-shirt with a huge coffee stain on the front (even though he'd had the 90 minutes it took me to get there from work to change).

I was even fine when he handed me an Easter egg bought in the local pound shop (although I had given him an handmade, organic chocolate one, bought at great expense) because that was the first Easter egg he's given me.

But I have to admit, I rather ran out of "fine" when he spent almost the entire meal talking about one of his ex-girlfriends, only stopping when I had objected for the second time.

I think that Romance, never a frequent visitor to the Illanare household at the best of times, may have taken off for her Gap year travels and is currently in a backpacker's hostel in Koh Samui...

2 comments:

  1. i don't blame you for running out of fine. i would have been in tears way before that.

    i hope Romance remembers to come home, like, soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In our household it appears that romance has was scared away by the assisted part of ART.

    I'm sorry to hear about your date night that really wasn't, but I hope you had a nice weekend for the rest of it and that perhaps romance decides to waltz back through the door.

    ReplyDelete